Saturday, October 3, 2015

Thoughts on Romans 12; Be Constant in Prayer



I randomly picked up the Kendrick brother's new book, "The Battle Plan for Prayer" and skimmed a couple of paragraphs in between talking about plans for Tori's birthday with Mama the other day. My eye happened to land on an explanation of this verse, and it was one of the best I've ever seen before, right up there with a short story about a kitchen-woman who explained to many clergymen who argued for hours what the verse meant to her (the story has stayed with me for years... I wish I could remember which book I read it in, haha!).

The word constant means "Steady in purpose; resolute; persevering. Steady in faithfulness; loyal. Continually recurring. Invariable; unchanging. that which is permanent or invariable." And then we come to the math definition, which we shall leave out of this post for multiple reasons... haha ;).

Being constantly in prayer is not an action we are doing. We aren't supposed to lock ourselves in our closets 24/7 from salvation to death doing nothing but praying. BUT, it is, again, a matter of the heart. We are to be prayerful at all times. Steadily coming before the throne with our requests, confessions, and praises. It should be a continually recurring habit, permanently ingrained in our day.

We can be constantly singing, constantly forgetting, constantly cleaning the same messes. That doesn't mean we are doing those things every moment, but that they are an expected, accepted, and unchanging part of our day. And in that way, we are to be constant in our prayers; never letting them slip to the side as unimportant, but always making communion with our Father a prominent part of our life, always thankful for the privilege, and always rejoicing in the "one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5).

Prayer is one area where I fall and fall again. It can be easy to pray at meals and before you go to bed as something to mark off your list, and then not think of for the rest of the day. But my hope is that each of us may become more enthusiastic about this great privilege we have been given :).

And I'm curious; who has been able to see "The War Room" :)? I haven't yet, but I've heard only good, and look forward to getting to watch it, as I know the Kendrick brothers are wonderful at getting biblical truths across in moving films :).

Blessings to you,

Bri :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11