Thursday, February 27, 2014

It Was Quite the Day Yesterday...


Hahaha. Since I ran out of yarn (one inch from the end of the stripe! Do you KNOW how annoying that is?! Haha...), and couldn't work on the baby blanket, I spent my free time catching up on emails... and helping Mommy destroy reorganize the house.

Which resulted in a whole lot of laughter. And cries of fake (and maybe not-so-fake) terror. And hammers and nails and vacuums and mess. That actually made something pleasant when it was completely done. Heehee :).

Mommy decided that the library would work better as the craft room, and vice versa. (It's hard to sew in the former craft room, because it doesn't have an over head light, making it difficult to, umm, see crafts, but you can just sit by a lamp to read if it were to become the library. Enter plan.)

Mommy called me upstairs and I found her on her knees doing what appeared to be ripping the floor up. I told her that I thought her nesting this time might be just a bit obsessive if she was pulling the floor up just to vacuum under it ;). She responded with "This is nasty... I wonder what I'll find in the walls?..." She was really removing the floorboard connectors so that we could scoot the shelves out of the library. We started moving shelves. Slowly. Oh, so slowly. Of course the first one we picked to move, the back needed nailed back on. It just stands to reason, haha. We thought we would nail it back when we got to the craft room/new library. And we did. But we now believe it should have been done a bit sooner, due to the precarious tipping of the shelf there at the end. Then we started the rubik's cube shifting of putting stuff from the craft room in the hall, so that we could get the rest of the library items in the craft room, so that we had room to put the craft room stuff away. Haha :), Confused yet?

So, the things we learned about moving shelves without taking the books off first: when you are moving a shelf full of books, you must push near the bottom, otherwise the ONLY thing that moves is the top. This one thing you must remember. And Mommy firmly believes that when shelves are involved my name is "Oh ye of little faith". (I told her I had complete faith... that a disaster was forming ;)....) Oh, and make sure the back of the shelf stays ON the back of the shelf. And make sure that the bottom stays connected. The shelves staying in is a good idea too, if you think about it.

Because the second shelf we moved, we moved oh-so-carefully. The bottom plank fell out, but it does that all the time, we have often moved it without a problem and then replaced that plank, hahaha ;). It was working fine, until the second shelf up, which we later discovered must have been missing one of it's pegs, decided to tumble down, and hit the side, pushing it apart, making it next to impossible to move, haha. It took a bit of, um, propping to solve that one, but it's stable now. Heeheehee ;). Really, it's fine, but we were worried for a while there ;). The next shelf was also pulling apart at the side before we even started (I don't think  those screws know what they are supposed to do, hahaha!), but Mommy fixed it with a push, and viola! Done... until I realized that a shelf peg was on upside down (that sooooo could have fallen like the last one, scary thought!), and went to fix it. Mommy tells me to be careful sticking my head under the shelf, it could be dangerous for the shelf to land on my glasses... um, ya... and then she lifts her arm up, as I sit up, and somehow my glasses ended up on the back of my head...these glasses have been a blessing, but they have caused several laughs as well, Tori, for one, cracks up when I stick my head in the oven or dishwasher too quickly and they fog over, haha!

Then Mommy wanted to move that second shelf, that had caused us so many problems, over, and of course the Encyclopedias were back on the shelf, making it terribly heavy! She was trying to do it with the least moving of books as possible, since she just finished organizing the books last week, heehee. At one point I looked at her and asked "Is this really any quicker?" She laughed and said "If we have to fix every shelf that we move? Maybe not...  but this is quite entertaining!".

We finally got that third shelf in  place, and Mommy's victory cry was, "We made it! And we didn't break anything this time! Well... it did kind of fall apart, but it was already broken! So that doesn't count."

The other shelves were moved without a trouble... although one shelf made a lovely little snapping noise where the shelf hit a floor board that was slightly higher then the rest. Mommy stopped and asked  "WHAT was that?!" I glanced at the shelf and then down the stairs that we were perilously near, and answered, "I don't know. Just keep moving. If it collapses, we don't want it falling down the stairs...". Nothing bad happened, and Mommy then announced "Woohoo! We finally got one in without breaking it!!!" Tori answered "Umm... isn't that what you said last time?" Mommy replied, "Ya, but since it was falling apart before we started, I don't count it..."... And by the way, a shelf full of magazines is heavy. Just saying. Mommy and I worked so hard to pull that shelf, but once we took the magazines off the bottom shelf, I was able to pull it out from the wall alone, haha!

We were done in here! We thought ;)... We then moved two shelves over again, when Mommy decided that they would look better on the other side of the room. And then she noticed that the two we had just moved didn't match each other. But we left them anyway. Heehee :).

And then we started moving everything from the hall to the new craft room (knocking a clock off the table in the process, but, "That isn't any more broken then it was to begin with, so that doesn't count either!"), and Mommy organized it to her hearts content (and a little beyond...), while I made a pie (chocolate, for medicinal purposes), a maple twist for breakfast today (gotta love Mommy's pregnancy cravings!), and browned hamburger for supper. Which we did eventually eat... and then collapsed, after cleaning the lovely little mess that supper, and some toddlers who were reveling in our being busy all day, created. Haha ;). But it does look so much better today, and I think it was worth it, now that I'm not staring in fear at a shelf full of books wavering over my head ;). Heehee :).


2 comments:

  1. Stories like this get blogged mainly for my Gramma, she loves 'em, haha :). I told Mommy, "Gramma is going to love this one, I wish I could see her face.... ooooooh, I wish I could see KATIEDID'S face! That will probably be even better, she hasn't heard as many of these stories as Gramma yet!" Mommy said she'd rather see your Mom's face when you embellished it for her listening pleasure ;). Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11