Saturday, October 10, 2015

Thoughts on Romans 12; "Contribute to the Needs of the Saints", part 3



Sometimes we see needs, and we feel like there is something we should do about it, and even know what we should do about it, but sometimes, at least for me, I find myself fearful. Maybe I am making more of the situation than it really is, and they won't appreciate me making it bigger. Surely they have gotten the same help from other people already. Maybe I'm wrong about it even being a need, or about the best way to meet that need for them.

I stumbled on these verses in my bible study this morning while thinking about this, and I thought they fit perfectly; "I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again." Philippians 4:10-16

The church at Philippi saw needs and filled them, whether they were the closest ones to Paul or not. They were the first to join with him. It's always hard to be the first to make a move, but this church wasn't turned away by that. And while Paul was in Thessalonica, they didn't sit back thinking, "Well, maybe we shouldn't... Thessalonica probably has it covered, and it would be pointless". They felt led to contribute to that need, and they did it- and Paul was thankful for that.

I've heard that if you have any doubts about something, you shouldn't do it at all. I get the thoughts behind that, and agree with those thoughts, but I don't necessarily agree with the saying. Because you can doubt many things that you *are* supposed to do. Some of the things I have almost decided not to do because I was so worried about how it would be taken, but then talked myself into doing anyway, I've later found out that that stood out to the person involved way more than I would have ever thought it deserved. I've never regretted when I stepped out of my comfort zone (which is way smaller than I would like) to do something that I felt needed done. But I have often regretted the things I didn't do because I had doubts as to whether they were really needs.Let's not let fear -of men, of failure, or of self- hold us back from following the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11