Friday, January 23, 2015

I found this quote the other day, and thought I would share it :)

“But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Mark 13:32) "Just as the Savior is willing to endure hunger, and thirst, and other suffering of this kind, so also, as man, he is ignorant of "the great day". For he sometimes speaks as God, and sometimes as man, in order that he may show himself to be both true God and true man. As God he said to his disciples, "Our friend Lazarus is asleep", when no one had told him. As man he asked the sister of Lazarus, when he came to them at the end of his journey, "Where have you laid him?" He who, when far off, knew that Lazarus was dead, how could he be ignorant, when present, of the place where the body of Lazarus was? It is utterly improbable that he should have known the one thing and been ignorant of the other. But the truth is, that he knew as God, while he was ignorant of both as man. Therefore, in the same way, he both did not know and yet knew "that day and that hour". As man he did not know. As God he knew." 
                                                                                         ~Cyril

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting perspective, but who is Cyril? That name doesn't ring a bell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure Jean, haha :). I think I've heard him quoted before, but I can't think of where. And the book I got this quote from (it was being quoted by J. C. Ryle when I found it) only attributed it to "Cyril". Which I would think would mean he is some older important person a lot of people quote, but I don't know who... haha.
    (Actually, my sister just walked in and says she might know who it is... I'm not positive, but I think it is possible it's this guy... I can't say for sure though, haha! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria)
    Blessings,
    Bri :)

    ReplyDelete

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11