Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A Drop of Ink May Make a Million Think

This summer I asked some of you why you thought that people write (I love giving out tag questions, because you can tell a lot about a person by asking a question like this ;)!). Of course, the obvious reason that pops into your head may simply be "they enjoy it?" Which is true... but I love to think about the possibilities for writing. I love quotes about writing. I love writing ;).

One of my very favorite quotes about writing says that "we write to taste life twice". I really think that this is the reason I write. While I love to connect through words, and I do hope that the Lord can use some of the lessons He teaches me to bless others, the truth is, my blog has never had a real theme; it is just my way of sharing where I am in life.  And my journal has always been a thought process, not a history piece.

Because it's true, writing is how I process. Events, moments, ideas, dreams, plans, lessons, they all run through my head in a never ending loop until I sit down and write them out - usually in my journal, but also in letters and, to a lesser degree on my blog. (Often, for big events, I sit down and journal it to think through it myself, and then once it's sorted out in my own mind, I share it here, where I feel like I can share it in the best way possible... so often they look very much alike in what they deal with, haha, and I feel like it's a waste of time to do it twice... but that's just how it works for me. Each has a special place to me for different purposes!)

And when I think of writing, I think of the fact that we have God's Word given to us in written form. The God of the universe could have chosen any way He wanted to give us His truth, but He chose to give it to us in writing. In a book that we can hold and see and smell and feel and read through, and "taste", not just twice, but over and over and over again.

And I love that ability. I love to read of Jairus and how Jesus healed his daughter, and hear in my mind again one of our pastors teaching through this passage, and the vivid emotion he was able to breath into the passage because he was a father of an only daughter, just about Jairus' daugher's age, and he could clearly imagine the emotions that he would feel in this situation. I love to go through Hebrews and remember that it's said to be detailed sermon notes, and see the verses I have underlined that point to God being the only source of our rest. I love to read Leviticus and realize just how much Christ has paid for on the cross. I love to read these words that were meant to teach and train and remind and exhort and encourage and bring about worship.

There is something special about having the ability to dwell on the words over again, to see them, to go at your own pace, to have them available not once through hearing them, but as often as you will.

A drop of ink may make a millon think... and God chose this form of giving us hope. And the Lord has gone a step further, and given His children this written word, yes, but also the comprehension, the ability to learn and not just see. And for His word and His blessing on it's reading, I am so very grateful <3.

How have you been tasting the words of the Lord lately :)?

Rejoicing in Hope,
Bri

2 comments:

  1. Mm, good thoughts! Words and writing are so powerful - it's such a gift God has entrusted to us! I've been enjoying your posts, Bri, even though I've been slack with commenting. Keep it up! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! Words ARE powerful - and you ALWAYS share such beautifully encouraging ones, I truly look forward to your comments, thank you! I am blessed to hear you have been enjoying my little blogs, and I completely understand slacking on the commenting... unfortunately, I have too, haha... I feel so bad, but I am trying not to pressure myself into it if I don't have time :). So you don't worry about it, either!

      Delete

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11