Wednesday, October 24, 2018

His Strength in our Weakness


"And I, when I came to you brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my speech and message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." -1 Corinthians 2:1-5

One thing that I love about bible journaling is that I can be reminded later of things that I was struck by before. While I can/did/do use a journal as well, it's so much nicer to have it with the text where I can read the context, as well <3. I was struck again by the passage above last night, as I was getting my post together.

Paul, admitting fear. And trembling. His own weakness.

Paul, the author of almost half of the New Testament books. The author of Romans, specifically, who openly rebuked Peter the apostle. Weak, fearful, trembling.

And what a beautiful reminder this is for us. For Paul goes on to say that this was for the people's own good... so that God might be glorified more in their lives. Paul's setbacks were for God's power to shine through instead of his own efforts. And he didn't let them stop him in discouragement from doing what he was called to do.

They just caused him to lean into Christ more.

Paul knew what it was to say "Christ must increase, but I must decrease"; "let the one who boast, boast in the Lord." He had seen God take his own humble efforts, and use them within God's plan for the spreading of the gospel, and he *knew* it wasn't of his own doing.

But he also knew something else; God had called him to this path of ministry, and he couldn't stop just because it was hard. Because God uses *people* to bring His hope to those around them, and He knows that we are not righteous enough, strong enough, or even, for some of us, bold enough - on our own. But He has given us the gift of having a part in the spreading of His gospel, anyway. He uses us, in our weakness, to show His strength. We are given the joy of planting, and of watering seeds of truth.

"But only God gives the growth." (1 Corinthians 3:7)

And that's as it should be.

So that faith might rest in God, and Go alone <3.

2 comments:

  1. When we are weak, Christ is strong. ♥ Thank you for sharing this lovely post, Bri! It reminds me that our fruit is found in Him; when we abide and rest in Jesus, He gives the growth. What promises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, lookie there - abiding and resting again! Exactly <3! Thank you for sharing your perspective on this post, Hosanna. It was a joy to read :)!

      Delete

"May the Lord, the God of your fathers... bless you!" Deuteronomy 1:11